Paying attention in diverse learning needs with ADHD student




During today’s classroom observation, I focused more on a student in our class who has ADHD. This experience was particularly enlightening for me because I have not previously had any specific education or exposure to working with students with special needs. I haven’t actively read articles or materials on this topic, nor have I interacted with such students before. Thankfully, my mentor provided a detailed overview of the students’ backgrounds on my first day, which helped me understand why this particular student finds it challenging to stay focused during lessons.


Due to my lack of knowledge in this area, I was uncertain how can I support this student. Even though I sat behind him during every observation class, I was worried about doing something wrong that might upset him due to my inexperience. Therefore, I tended to maintain a certain distance. Despite this, the student always greets me with great enthusiasm, loudly saying, "Hello Heidi Heidi," with sparkling, expectant eyes, eagerly awaiting my response.

Realizing my need for more knowledge in this area, I have decided to proactively learn about ADHD and how to support students with this condition. I don’t want to remain passive and uninformed.


Fortunately, I have a classmate named Jess who is wonderful, kind, and helpful. She has many years of teaching experience and has encountered students with special needs in her previous teaching roles. Moreover, her action research focuses on this very topic. I can learn a lot from my dear Jess.


Today’s observation has outlined the importance of being prepared and knowledgeable about the diverse needs of students. By taking steps to educate myself and seeking help from experienced colleagues, I hope to become more confident and effective in supporting all my students, including those with ADHD. This journey is about becoming a better teacher and ensuring that every student feels understood, supported, and valued in the classroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Reflection on Lesson 4 video