Classroom Discipline Differences Between China and Poland

Todays observation at my internship school provided fascinating insights into the differences in classroom discipline between Poland and China. As someone who grew up and was educated in China,  I was shocked by the contrast in student behavior and classroom management. 



Classroom Discipline: China vs. Poland

 

In China,  students of public schools typically sit up straight, keeping their eyes fixed on the teacher or the blackboard. This posture represented their attention and respect for the lesson being taught. Chinese students understand that this behavior is expected of them and that it shows they are paying attention.

 

In contrast, the first-grade class I observed in Poland displayed a much more relaxed approach. Students could choose the sitting posture they found comfortable, and they did not always keep their eyes on the teacher or the blackboard. Initially, I thought this meant they were not paying attention. However, when the teacher asked questions, even those students who appeared distracted could respond correctly.


Given my background, I am accustomed to the Chinese way of demonstrating attention and respect in the classroom. However, in this Polish classroom, I need to adapt to different cultural expectations. The relaxed atmosphere does not necessarily equate to a lack of discipline or attention. Instead, it reflects a different educational philosophy and approach to learning.



In China, teachers use specific actions and cues to remind students to concentrate, such as eye contact or subtle gestures. In Poland, these methods might not be as effective or appropriate. I need to explore and learn new strategies that align with the cultural context of my students.


This observation raises important questions for me. How can I accurately judge whether students are paying attention if they do not show it in ways I am familiar with? If I find that students are not focused, how should I address it properly?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About me

Reflection on Lesson 4 video